Film making processes has been changed a lot with the advent of new technologies, especially handheld digital devices like smartphone. This has opened doors for young filmmakers by creating an environment where talent, creativity and hard work counts more than budget and industry connections. Believing
that anybody with a thought-provoking concept or a touchy story can make a great film, the festival will showcase works of new talented students using a tool so simple and readily available that it’s often overlooked: mobile phone.
The first rule- all films must be shot with mobile phones, and Director must be a current student of any University. READ TERMS AND CONDITIONS BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR FILM.
The organizer, 'CinemaScope', is a film apprenticeship program designed as a co-curricular program for the students of University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh (ULAB). The program is monitored by the Department of Media Studies and Journalism. CinemaScope arrange regular events like Film Reading, Master Class, Workshops, Meet the Director etc. Besides, CinemaScope mouthpiece “Cinepedia”, a Cine-magazine, comes out once in every academic semester.
CinemaScope started annual Cinemascope Mobile Film Competition (CMFC) in 2015. The competition upholds and promotes the motto 'New generation, New tools, New communication'. The competition is entry free but restricted among directors who are University students. Films for this competition must be shot in a mobile phone (cell-phone/Smart phone). However, there is no restriction regarding brand, model and operating system of the phone as well as post-production tools. The films must be submitted in MPEG4 (*.mp4) format.
Awards & Prizes
CMFC award: Cash prize, Crest and Certificate.
CMFC selection: Certificate
Rules & Terms
1. Director of the film can be single or group (maximum 8 persons).
2. Only director or a representative of the directors (for group) can submit his/her film for CMFC.
3. Participant must be a University student who has a student identity card valid at least till June 2017.
4. Each participant can submit maximum 2 films.
5. Films screened and/or participated in other festivals and/or competitions are also welcome in CMFC.
6. Films submitted in previous CMFC will not be accepted.
1. Films for this competition must be shot in a mobile phone (cell-phone/Smart phone). There is no restriction regarding brand, model and operating system of the phone.
2. Multiple mobile phones can be used shooting, however, usage of footage(s) shot by any other device(s) such as DSLR, compact cameras or hybrid android cameras will disqualify the film.
3. Use of additional equipment is allowed, including (but not limited to) external microphone, lenses, lighting tools and tripod.
4. All films must be submitted in MPEG4 (.mp4) format with an Aspect Ratio of 16:9.
5. Use of Animation/VFX must not be more than 30% of total duration.
6. Any device or software may be used in post-production process such as editing video and audio, color-correction and special effects.
7. Maximum duration of the film must be within 10 minutes including title and credit line.
8. English subtitle is mandatory and should be merged with the visual.
9. There is no restrictions regarding theme/topic. All genres are welcome.
10. Use of any copyrighted materials is prohibited unless there is a written permission.
11. No nudity, profanity, extreme violence or racist content is allowed.
12. CinemaScope will preserve the right to archive, publish and use submitted materials for academic and non-commercial purpose.
Deadline and submission:
1. No entry fee is required.
2. Submission deadline is November 3, 2016.
3. Late submission will cost $5 or TK400. No submission will be allowed after December 15, 2016.
4. Online submission is preferable. Please use for film submission. For DVD submission, your film and all required documents (duly filled-up and signed Submission Form, Photograph and Biography of the Director, Film Poster, Scanned copy of both sides of Student Identity Card, Scanned copy of national ID / Passport, Video of Making of the film- Behind the scene) in 2 copy DVD – should be submitted or sent to:
Mr. Didarul Karim,
Media Lab Instructor
Media Lab, Room 214, Campus B
University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh (ULAB)
House 85, Road 7/A, Satmosjid road
Dhanmondi, Dhaka 1209,
5. Behind the scene must contain sufficient proof that your film was shot with a mobile phone. Director should talk about advantages and disadvantages of the mobile phone used for filming in ‘Making of the Film’. Duration of this video should be within 3 to 5 minutes.
1. Acceptance notification will be sent by email on January 03, 2017.
2. The judges may disqualify a film if they have reason to believe that it does not comply with the competition’s terms and conditions.
3. Finally selected films will be screened at ULAB auditorium on January 28, 2017. Best film will be announced at the end of the event.
4. CinemaScope reserves the right to withdraw the awards at any time if there is a formal complaint regarding violation of intellectual property right or CMFC rules.