Course: BCU 4 Star Sea Assessment
Dates: February 27 & 28, 2016
Location: Anglesey, North Wales
Cost: £150 non-residential.
Course Director: Mark Tozer
Prerequisites: Endorsed LR form; BCU 4 Sea Star training (or equivalent evidence); BCU Coastal Navigation and Tidal Planning (or equivalent course);
a valid first-aid award (minimum 16 hours); 25 days logged experience in 3 different sea areas. Logged leadership experience.
Note: The information below is an overview of what is covered during the assessment and we recommend you access the latest syllabus for reference.
Description: This two-day discipline specific assessment is designed to show that a successful candidate has the appropriate level of skill to safely lead competent paddlers on coastal journeys in moderate water conditions.
Achieving the award demonstrates that a candidate is competent to judge the conditions and the standard of the group to make appropriate decisions on the water as part of a planned route, while showing an understanding of the need to modify plans when required. The assessment will be against criteria set out in the BCU 4 Star Sea syllabus and will cover the following areas:
Personal Paddling Skills
• Lifting, carrying and launching/landing
• Efficient and effective sea paddling skills
• Forward paddling
• Reversing and stopping
• Maintaining direction
• Changing direction
• Moving sideways
• Support strokes
• Practical navigation
Rescue Skills, Safety, Leadership and Group Management
• Boat and shore based safety and rescue skills
• Incident management and first aid in the 4 star environment
• Being an effective team leader and team member in rescues/incidents
• Application of leadership
• Leadership strategies, judgement and decision making
• Safety awareness and risk management
• Group control and management
• Safety (includes coastguard and rescue services)
• Hypothermia/first aid
• Group awareness and management
• Etiquette (includes collision regulations and signals)
• General (and historical)
• Leadership responsibilities
• Water features/hazards
BCU Information: For syllabus details, visit the BCU website.